Despite its weird name, Idaho Pleasure is a very easy meal to make, it tastes delicious and is not the worst possible thing to put in your body – or, well – it depends on whether you dunk it in cheese and bacon, but luckily that’s something you can adjust yourself! And the best part, there will almost always be leftovers, and it’s great to reheat in the microwave. The recipe is very adjustable at every turn, if you want less bacon or cheese, feel free to use less, I often just work on gut feeling with this course.
Estimate Time to Make: 1 hour.
Difficulty Level: Easy.
How Much Food: 3-4 meals.
- 12 – 15 Medium sized potatoes
- 250g Bacon
- 170g Grated Cheese (or enough to cover the surface area of the casserole)
- 1 Leek
- 1 Crème Fraiche (Rømme på godt norsk)
- Butter (For the frying pan)
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make:
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Find a casserole you can use for your meal.
- Chop the potatoes into small pieces, I prefer to slice and dice them into long rectangular shapes.
- Thereafter, fry them in a pan so that they get a good tan, remember to use lots of butter so the pieces don’t get stuck to the pan, plus, it makes them tastier! Do them in several batches, otherwise it will take forever to fry. I put in enough to cover the entirety of the pan, plus a bit more on top. It may take 6-7 minutes to fry them.
- When a batch is done, put them into the casserole, and keep them in the oven while you fry the next batch. Keep doing this until everything is fried. It usually takes me 2-3 rounds; it depends on the size of your frying pan.
- Then, fry the bacon. Here you can adjust how well-cooked you want your bacon, mine is usually entirely crisp.
- With all the potatoes cooked, take the casserole out of the oven, pour over some salt and pepper (not too much though) and add the bacon. Give it all a good stir.
- Finally, add the grated cheese.
- Put it in the oven for approximately 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is starting to turn golden.
- Grab a plate and however big of a chunk of the deliciousness you want to eat. Top it off with sliced leek and Crème Fraiche.
- Voila! You’ve done it again babes, absolutely stunning!